New to Online Eyeglasses? Click Here!
Ongoing: Click here for 15%-off EVERY ORDER at EyeBuyDirect This is the best ongoing deal on the internet for EyeBuyDirect!
Goggles4U drops prices, drops additional discount codes. People are concerned, but this is still one of the best places to buy online. Link!

Prescription sunglasses. I could never afford them when I was getting fleeced by Lenscrafters, and now I'm never without a pair. For as little as $8 more than a non-tinted pair, you're able to go all day in the sun without the eye fatigue and the premature crow's feet.

I carry a pair in my work bag, one in each car and even leave a pair in my bike bag in case I forget to grab a pair on the way out.

They're not just for the (fleeting) days of summer. I find them even more useful in the winter as I head out into the blinding reflections of the sun on the new snow.

I bought a UV meter a couple of years ago to verify that I was getting the lenses and coatings I was paying for. All pairs I've ordered have measured up. Don't forget that UV blocking is inherent in polycarbonate material -- so never pay extra for UV protection with polycarbonate lenses. CR-39 (or regular plastic) lenses need the UV coating.

For me, this is one of the biggest benefits of low-cost online prescription eyeglasses. I spend less per pair than my wife does on non-prescription sunglasses.

How many pairs do you have?



Before you go, sign up for my feed! If you have a feed reader, sign up by clicking here, or enter your email address in the box below to start getting GlassyEyes posts delivered to your inbox. You'll never get any spam, and each email includes an unsubscribe link (that really works!). Thanks!

6 comments:

At August 30, 2010 at 10:42 AM Brian said...

Know anywhere that sells prescription sunglasses that wrap around? I have the problem where the sun gets in from the top or the side and makes it impossible to see...

 
At August 30, 2010 at 11:33 AM Ira said...

@Brian,

It's an issue with smaller frames to be sure. Wrap around frames cause distortion with all but the slightest prescriptions.

You're going to need to spend quite a bit more than the market I cover if you want wrap arounds -- and even then, they may not be an option for you.

 
At August 30, 2010 at 11:39 AM Anonymous said...

Ira,

I have a question but it does not relate to sunglasses but the PD measurement. I realize most of the stuff on the forums relates to PD but I was wondering do you know of any states in the US that require the PD be on the prescription? I personally live in NJ and heard it must be given if you bought glasses from them.

Also, wondering do you know after what age you PD stops changing?

Also, you say you verified the UV protection using a UV meter, is there any way to verify an RX?

Thanks in advance. Oh, and you blog is excellent, I am sure you hear that a lot but it really is.

 
At August 30, 2010 at 1:26 PM Anonymous said...

Do any of the discount glasses sites offer polarized tinted lenses?

I'd love a pair of prescription sunglasses with polarized lenses for fishing/watersports, but haven't found them cheaply yet.

 
At August 31, 2010 at 8:00 PM Jennah Watters said...

I have several pairs of prescription sunglasses, but I have SUCH a hard time finding them online because I have a smaller PD. Sunglasses trend to bigger lenses, and that is especially the trend right now. I can't buy the bigger ones though, because my PD is too small at 57 (I even have trouble seeing out of non-prescrip sunglasses with big lenses a lot of the time). Inevitably, I spend an hour finding a few perfect frames and none of them work! Very frustrating. I just ordered another pair from Zenni - hopefully they're big enough that I like them!

 
At August 31, 2010 at 8:01 PM Jennah Watters said...

PS Anonymous - Glassesshop and Goggles4U both offer polarized lenses, iirc

 

Post a Comment