New to Online Eyeglasses? Click Here!
Ongoing: Click here for 15%-off EVERY ORDER at EyeBuyDirect This is the best ongoing deal on the internet for EyeBuyDirect!
Goggles4U drops prices, drops additional discount codes. People are concerned, but this is still one of the best places to buy online. Link!

We've heard this before, but it's always nice to get a refresher from a person in the know.

As a retired Minneapolis optician I can tell you first hand that we bought our lenses in bulk and most single vision lenses cost less than $2.00 a pair, Bifocals and progressives cost us as much as $6.00 a pair. Frames ..Name brand, up to $10.00, same quality generics cost us much less. Online is the way I buy all of my eyewear, New glasses in under two weeks!!


Even if you simply consider the lenses (throwing the frames out of the equation), you can see the screw-job.

----

Note: I'm working on a lengthier piece based on an email exchange I had with an optometrist last week. He had many points I'm trying to work through -- fairly.

post to del.icio.us del.icio.us | post to digg digg | post to reddit reddit



Before you go, sign up for my feed! If you have a feed reader, sign up by clicking here, or enter your email address in the box below to start getting GlassyEyes posts delivered to your inbox. You'll never get any spam, and each email includes an unsubscribe link (that really works!). Thanks!

2 comments:

At September 2, 2007 at 8:28 PM Anonymous said...

Hi- As an ABO Certifed Optician with experience in both lab and retail, at one of the big chain stores, I felt the need to put in my 2 cents. Also, I should state I have purchased 9 pairs of glasses from Zenni Optical, and have been happy all nine pair.

I can assure you that "Independent Doctors of Optometry" is an accurate statment. The doctors "rent" the space from the chain store. And, let me assure you that in many cases the "association" is not amicable. I am all for saving money, and NOT lining the pockets of the Italians owning the monoply in the eyewear industry. But I would like to emphasize, that when you choose to purchase glasses over the internet, DO NOT expect the local optician or chain retailer to provide your follow up service , adjustments, and repairs. A huge expense to the big retailers, is the time and materials involved in repairing and fitting glasses, for free, that were not even purchased from them. They provide the service as a courtesy in hopes you will buy your next pair from them. So, please, do not *itch and complain about them, but than expect them to help you.

As I stated, I have purchased 9 pairs online, but I only felt comfortable doing so as I am knowledgeable in the field. I would be concerned for anyone ordering glasses without understanding basic principle of fitting and ordering.....

Best of luck in you online ordering endeavors-- be sure to get you correct PD from you doctor, and do not order you first pair of progressive lenses online!!!!!!!

 
At September 2, 2007 at 8:37 PM Anonymous said...

Hi- As an ABO Certifed Optician with experience in both lab and retail, at one of the big chain stores, I felt the need to put in my 2 cents. Also, I should state I have purchased 9 pairs of glasses from Zenni Optical, and I have been happy with all nine pair.

I can assure you that "Independent Doctors of Optometry" is an accurate statment. The doctors "rent" the space from the chain store. Also, in many cases the "association" is not amicable. I am all for saving money, and NOT lining the pockets of the Italians owning the monoply in the eyewear industry. But I would like to emphasize, that when you choose to purchase your glasses over the internet, DO NOT expect the local optician or chain retailer to provide your follow up service, adjustments, or repairs. Don't ask them to verify or trouble shoot your prescription. If you have concerns, ask your eye doctor to do this. A huge expense to the big retailers, is the time and materials involved in repairing and fitting glasses, for free, that were not even purchased from them. They provide the service as a courtesy in hopes you will buy your next pair from them. So, please, do not *itch and complain about them, but than expect them to help you if you have a problem with your online purchase

As I stated, I have purchased 9 pairs online, but I only felt comfortable doing so as I am knowledgeable in the field. Also, I currently do not work in the eyewear part of the business. I would be concerned for anyone ordering glasses without understanding the basic principles of fitting and ordering.....it can be difficult to select a complememntary pair from a picture.....

Best of luck in your online ordering endeavors-- be sure to get you correct PD from you doctor,enter your Rx correctly and do not order you first pair of progressive lenses online!!!!!!! Otherwise, take advantage of the great prices and the financial ability to have numerous fashionable pair of glasses for the cost of one pair from a local retailer!

 

Post a Comment